Help Your Dog Stay Healthy Over the Holidays with Pet Botanics Omega Treats
From November 2010 – with Thanksgiving just about three weeks away and Christmas not far behind, these tips will help your dog have a happy, healthy holiday season –
Cardinal Pet Care’s Pet Botanics Omega Treats are Loaded with Omega 3 & 6 and Have Only 9 Calories Per Piece
AZUSA, Calif. – The holiday season is approaching, and with it comes a lot of overindulging. Many people will put on a few pounds in the six weeks or so between Thanksgiving and New Year’s, and while it is annoying, for most of us the extra weight generally won’t do much harm, except make the jeans you got for Christmas a little snug. For your dog, however, a few pounds can have serious consequences.
The traditional Thanksgiving feast is generally considered the kickoff to a season of overeating that includes many high-calorie and high-fat dishes and doesn’t abate until after New Year’s Day. And that feast can be a doozy, often coming in at approximately 4,500 calories, with all the trimmings and dessert. So you can see how sneaking in just an extra morsel or two from holiday dinners can cause not only you to gain weight, but your dog, as well.
Helping you dog avoid packing on the holiday pounds is as simple as giving him “sushi.” Pet Botanics Omega Treats from Cardinal Pet Care are a five-layered sushi-like dog treat made from the finest human-grade ingredients, such as meat, poultry, fish and sweet potato. But the wholesome goodness doesn’t stop there – Omega Treats are loaded with Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and vitamin E that contribute to healthy cardiovascular and immune systems, as well as a glossy coat. At just nine calories per treat, Omega Treats are a smart way to give your dog a truly guilt-free snack in flavors and aromas that dogs love! Plus, Omega Treats come in a resealable pouch that makes them great stuffers for your dog’s stocking!
Following are some tips from Cardinal Pet Care that will help to keep your dog happy and healthy during the holidays:
- If you must give your dog human foods, vegetables should be at the top of your list. Some of the tastiest and healthiest treats you can give your dog (and yourself, for that matter!) are foods like carrots, broccoli, celery and asparagus. Plus, your dog will love the crunchiness of these low-cal treats! Just make sure you skip the ranch dip!
- Some human foods, like chocolate, onions, grapes, raisins and macadamia nuts, can be poisonous to pets, even in small amounts, so make sure they are out of your pet’s reach. Also inform your guests of the dangers of giving these foods to your pets. If you think your pet may have ingested any of these items, call your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 immediately.
- Let your dog eat with the family! No, don’t set a place for him at the table and give him turkey with all the trimmings, but if you serve him his holiday dinner of nutritious, quality dog food at the same time you sit down to eat, he will be less likely to beg at the table. He will be too busy eating his own holiday feast to bother with yours!
- When you give your dog treats, make sure they are healthy treats made especially for dogs, like Pet Botanics Omega Treats. These and other training/reward morsel-type treats make excellent guilt-free goodies because they’re typically bite-sized and generally very low in calories.
- Take some time out of each day to get a little exercise. It’s easy to forget to take the dog for a walk or play with him during the holidays, because there is so much to do. But a little physical activity will benefit both you and your dog.
Pet Botanics is a proud part of Cardinal Pet Care, a solar powered company devoted to pets, people and the planet. In addition to providing pets with the highest quality products, Cardinal is dedicated to the environmental directive of Reduce, Reuse and Recycle whenever possible. Demonstrating its commitment to the environment, Cardinal has a solar-powered home office, warehouse and manufacturing facility in Azusa, CA. Cardinal is also proud to be the first company in its industry to use an eco-friendly compostable dog food bag made with Earth First PLA film.